Reading Week 14: Grimm: The Robber Bridegroom Part A

This story is part of the Brothers Grimm (Crane) unit. Story source: Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm, translated by Lucy Crane and illustrated by Walter Crane (1886).
Source

I thought this story was interesting due to its simplistic design. The classic damsel in distress is used as a miller marries of his daughter to the first suitor. Not much of the suitor is described in the first part of the story directly. However, the contents of the house and what the bride finds paint a clearer picture of whats really going on. I did like how the story ended with a good tie into the follow up story. If I were to retell the story, I may do it from the old woman's perspective meeting the bride and planning an escape. Otherwise, the setting, plot, and characters were all very simple. Not much description was used and this may be a place to expand upon if I rewrite the story.
Photo from Wikipedia

Comments

Popular Posts